Under the collaboration between Thai Media Fund and Asia Centre on “Hate Speech in Asia: Challenges and Solutions” project in 2020, on Wednesday 27 May 2020, Asia Centre held its first #webinar on “COVID-19 and Hate Speech” in Southeast Asia, with up to 100 attendees.
There were 5 invited speakers:
- Dr. James Gomez, Regional Director, Asia Centre
- Prof. Andrew Harding, Centre for Asian Legal Studies, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Dr. Yasuko Hassall Kobayashi, Associate Professor, Ritsumeikan University
- Ms. Ayako Hatano, Doctoral Researcher, University of Tokyo
- Mr. Wasin Punthong, Lecturer, Thammasat University
The session overall brought out the tension between freedom of expression and the potential for over-regulation of hate speech.
In this connection, the need to uphold international human rights law and to ensure that non-legal tools – policies and practices – address hate speech, including in highly polarised political contexts was noted.
A second #webinar on Hate Speech and Vulnerable Communities will be held on 24 June, 2020.
To attend this Webinar sign up: https://forms.gle/TZgMCQFUz8Z5uTCc9
Date: 24 June 2020
Time: 2 PM – 3.30 PM (Bangkok, Thailand GMT+7),
Registration from 1.45pm (Bangkok, Thailand GMT+7)